Monday, February 1, 2010

French pistou soup

When I was in southern France last fall, I heard about a vegetable soup called Pistou soup. Unfortunately, I never got to try it when I was in France, but once I got home I did a search for it.
Pistou soup is originally a summer vegetable soup, but people who know me, knows that I don't have patience to wait another six months to try a new recipe when I really, really want to try it. As in right now!


This recipe is from Taste, and I must admit it's one of the best soups I have ever tasted. Why this soup isn't as famous as Minestrone soup is beyond me.
I did one small change: I didn't have a can of mixed beans so I used butterbeans instead.
Also, make sure you use goos pesto, because it works wonders for the flavour!



Pistou soup

Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tbs olive oil
1 leek, white part only, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1cm cubes
2 cups (500ml) good-quality chicken or vegetable stock
1 tomato, peeled, seeds removed, cut into 1cm cubes
420g can four-bean mix, drained, rinsed
50g thin French or thin green beans, ends trimmed, cut into 2cm lengths
1 large zucchini, chopped
4 tbs (1/3 cup) good-quality basil pesto
Chargrilled bread or baguette, to serve

Method
Heat oil in a large saucepan, add leek and sweat over low heat for 1-2 minutes. Add the carrot and potato and cook, stirring, for a further minute.

Add stock and 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 5 minutes, then add tomato, four-bean mix, French or green beans and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper.

Cook for a further 2 minutes, stir in half the pesto, then ladle into serving bowls.

Add a dollop of remaining pesto. Serve with bread.

2 comments:

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries said...

That soup sounds so perfectly light yet filling. I love brothy bean soups!

Eva said...

Sarah, it is very light and filling. I love this soup because it is both tasty and hearty, yet low in calories. I love that combination :-)